I will start out with Lexus update. I finally started her on lasix this weekend for her bleeding and I must admit I had a new horse. She had so much fire back it was unbelievable and the clock was back on my side as well.
At Velva rodeo instead of riding her to warm her up, I decided to pony her off of Parker. I knew she would be full of energy after having 2 weeks of no riding. This worked really great it kept her mentally relaxed and focused. She felt great and as we ran into first she never sat and turned it like she could. She was quite a ways by and we managed to have a decent run afterwards. We ended up being an 18.2 and a 17.9 was last hole. Finally a step in the right direction.
We headed off to White Earth rodeo on sunday morning. Lexus once again looked great and I did the same routine of warming her up off of Parker. I got on her about 10 mins before the start as I was up fairly early, well did not feel good. She was balled up, excited, wigging out. So I took some time and started to do figure 8's and lots of walking drills well after 15 minutes I was finally getting a horse back so I stopped and relaxed. Well to top it all off the ambulance didnt show up on time. He was 35 mins late so really I lots all the edge and work I did. They called my name and I asked her to go and she balled right up again and there went my focus. I must admit I should be better then that. I have been there done that I know just to ignore, but for some reason I couldnt.
The vaccume above the gate totally sucked my brain out and I must admit I still cant even remember the run to first barrel. I over rated her on first barrel but she just didnt handle it like she should have. For over rating she should have just slow loped the barrel vs scrambling and still going by. So I came out of the arena pretty darn disappointed in myself and a bit in her.
I just didnt have a clue where all this bally, wigging out came from. Had I ran her bleeding for too long? Ulcers? Anxiety? Crappy Riding? We are better then this, we should be over this!
Still she clocked good again, which is a ray of hope. Winning run was a 17.9 and we were a 18.6 with those mistakes.
RaNelle, my mother and myself all sat down for lunch and talked it over and came to the conclusion that she just had way too much energy from not being rode in 2 weeks and that could quite possibly caused all the gate stuff.
For the first barrel, at the time it came down to my riding. Which is quite possible, we are rusty I must admit.
I came home and decided I needed to put some miles on her to get rid of some of that energy. I rode Parker and ponied Lex to go check the cows, then when I came home I worked her on the pattern and thats when I felt something. She had a slight resistance when working her, thats when the light bulb went on.
Last year at pretty much this time she started doing the exact same thing, I took her into the clinic and injected her hocks and the very next rodeo she earned me my biggest pay day of the year. So now i have made an appointment to get her hocks injected on thursday again. It has been since September and it would really explain why she came out of her turn on first barrel both times. She never shows signs of lameness but its more resistance then anything.
OK NOW ON TO PARKER!
He truely was my ray of sunshine this weekend. I exhibitioned him at both rodeos and decided I would just allow him to pick the pace. At Velva rodeo he did great, he was all business and not even a look away from the barrels for his first rodeo!! He is just so much fun.
We went to White Earth rodeo and once again I went with the idea of him picking up the pace. He did great yet again, he picked up the pace on his own and just was all about business yet again.
I got so many compliments on him this weekend, it was very flattering. I was so proud with how he handled the rodeo environment and how relaxed and at ease he is. A friend of mine said that Parker and I just look like we belong as a team, like a perfect fit and thats honestly how I feel about us as well. There is just something about him that reassures myself and gives me total confidence in his ability.
I will leave you with my quote again
"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her." ~David Brinkley
No comments:
Post a Comment