Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Been a long time

Well its been a long time since I have updated my blog and I wish I could report great things but I cant really.

I try not to update with negative posts because that is only dwelling, but I figured I would give a small update.

I unfortunately ended up losing my 3 yr old prospect Wilson. It was a freak accident and his injuries were just too bad and he ended up having to be put down. I must admit I was devastated. It was a huge loss for me. It was my future really.

Now I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I did get my insurance money on him, which was his purchase price but thats where I run into a problem. He was worth well over 4500, but thats all I got paid. Now if i try to replace him for that, I will only be able to purchase a horse with maybe 60 days riding, where as Wilson was already loping a pattern. So to purchase a horse that was at Wilson`s stage I am going to have to spend probably over $7500 which I do not have right now.

I think I have decided not to replace him. As much as I want to, I just cant afford it so I may just try really hard to get Caliber ready for 4 yr old futurities. I have always wanted to enter the BFA and this might be my one and only chance. She goes to the trainers next month and I cant wait to see how things go.

Finals are this coming weekend and its going to be bitter sweet for myself. I have decided after this weekend Lex is going into semi retirement. Her bone chip in her front left fetlock has now become an issue and its one of three choices for me. Bute Surgery or Retirement.

I have decided since the surgery isnt 100% and the cost of it and stall reset and rehab, it would just be better for now to use bute and retirement.

Last weekend went better, Virden we finally got a hunt for placing but unfortunately I ended up one tenth out of it. But still I was thrilled, I was so happy with our run. It felt much more back to normal. Really how can i not be happy with it. To be less then 4 tenths off the leader knowing it was tough competition, I was just thrilled!




But as things go, bute and banamine thins blood over time and she ended up bleeding during her last run at Whitewood. I just feel so terrible, she trys so hard for me but she just physically can not keep up to the rodeo life anymore.

So I think retirement for the rest of this year, I will breed her in the spring and maybe see how she is after her long rest. I still want her as a back up horse and still be able to qualify her for finals, but I just have to realize that she wont be able to keep up with the elite.

On the bright side, Macie is working really well and I am excited to see how she works at finals.

No comments: