Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cloud nine

I am sitting here looking at this computer screen in a daze. I feel like I must be dreaming that today really happened. But I pinched myself and yup I am awake!!

I took Parker and Macie to the jackpot in Minot today. I was brave and went out on the nasty roads, drove slow and got there and home in one piece! I am so glad I went, I really needed to make a haul and build my confidence up.

Parker and Macie feel like a walk in the park compared to my beloved Lexus. Not to hurt her feelings any, but man its nice to haul horses who eat and drink, dont buddy up to each other too bad, no runny poop, and who walk in and out of the gate like its a trail ride!

The only down side to those two is that it gives me time to think and get nervous. Something I am not use to. What the heck.....nerves? I think it was just the fact this was my first competition on Parker.

Parker did awesome today. He was a bit heavier in the snaffle warming up today then he has been at home, but really that is to be expected. He handled everything in stride. I was very suprised with the run he put together for me. I honestly was just along for the ride.

I made myself small goals going in and I was just going to be happy with smooth and good turns. I didnt need to be going for the win, just for him to hold together would be the key. Well he absolutely blew me away!!

I just coasted him on into first but man it was a good feeling to be riding a ratey horse again!! I missed that. I am certain as I get a few more runs under my belt I will get more confident to ride him up into the turn instead of thinking.... ohh please slow down and turn! I really need to improve myself on a few things with riding him.

He ended up clocking a 14.949 which I thought was a pretty decent time, but since I was gunner out I didnt really have any idea. Well to my suprise I ended up 2nd in the 1D!!! I am just on cloud nine.

Macie ran really good today as well. She is such a lil crotch rocket. I am so happy to be running her. Although I still get disappointed thinking about how she could have been getting ready to have that foal out of Firewater Ta Fame, I can't help but think she was meant for the barrel pen instead. She ran a 15.139 She ended up 5th in the 1D.

While driving home a good friend of mine gave me a call to say congrats and pretty much asked me.... and why were you nervous? Well I guess looking back now it was silly for me to be nervous over such a small jackpot, but I think its the pressure that is riding on the line. Its silly but I have invested a lot of money into Parker. It was published everywhere what I paid for him, everyone knows he is a son of Dash for Perks and I was just scared to make him into a lemon. I know its silly of me to have my doubts and to worry what every thinks, and really even if he never accomplished anything, he was one heck of a learning experiance and I have loved working with him. Still there is that small amount of pressure in the back of my head wondering if I could do it as well as if he could.

I do think the weight has been lifted, I just need to keep rolling. Having the first jackpot being a wonderful experiance for him has just set me up for the next. I will be busy keeping up with my dry work for the next little while and I have a few things I would like to get better. But other then that, I am very excited for what is in store!! Unfortunately its going to be a month till I can run him again. I just can not wait!!

Here are the videos, I just can not tell you how excited I am!



No comments: