Friday, February 6, 2009

Counting down the days

I am sitting here at work and I cant help but get excited and nervous for the up and coming jackpot at the Expo Barn. I can’t believe that I haven’t competed since the start of September. I know I have not lost my competitive edge as all I can think about is success. I need to remind myself to set realistic goals for myself and my horses but I can’t help but feel impatient for that victory!!

I really want Macie and Parker to be in the 1D, I do not feel is unrealistic for me to say that but I am worried that is expecting too much. After all it will be Parkers first competition and Macie hasn’t seen a barrel since the start of September like myself. Although we finished off the season with a 1D win, I do not expect to pick up where we left off.....BUT IT WOULD BE NICE!!

I am very proud of Macie and Parker, they are starting to ride so nice and soft. I love riding them and when I have to take a day off it just eats at me that I can not ride. Its like an itch you can not scratch, in my case I just can not ride and work on them enough. I love what I am doing and I love the herd of horses I have right now. Yes its been a lot of work, but it is something that I just love to do.

I have started my work on DD. She has been a challenge as well. Who would have thought that little of a yearling could put up that big of a fight. But luckily I am more bullheaded then she is and I have been able to win each and every time. Clinton’s drills have been perfect for her as she was pushy, did not respect my space and she was a spook. Your typical unhandled yearling.

I now have her backing up better then my older horses. She yields her front end and hind end and I have her starting to lunge for respect stage 2. I can sack her out with scary feed bags with minimal spooking. I have started to desensitize her to me jumping up and down beside her. So this is a really good start for February. Only 21 more months till the futurity!! I still have my work cut out for me in the next little while and it seems life is getting in the way with her training already. With work, then 2 ag shows on Tuesday and Wednesday next week, she will just have to wait till the end of next week to start back up again.

I really have to get working with Chrome some more as the sale is only 4 ½ months away now. I think for the first two weeks in May I might have to hire someone to take her and ride her for me. I will be gone those two weeks to Alberta for the futurities and I will only have 5 days at home before the sale. I want to get her better on the ground as I know that will fix the small issues she has in her training, but boy that mare is going to make someone a nice horse.

Tomorrow my mother is hauling Lexus into the vet clinic for her last ultrasound this week. We are just tracking her folicle size to see how it grew in the last few days and to see when she has released. The next cycle is go time! I am very excited to get this foal on the way. My vet really did calm my concerns on Wednesday, his confidence in getting mares infoal makes me feel at ease. I can’t help but worry about it. It’s a lot of money to spend and knowing Dash For Perks history on shipped semen it does concern me. After some good reviews from last years season I have faith this will work, it just stays in the back of your head.

Well I will update my blog after the jackpot, I am very excited to get back on the horse and do it again!!

No comments: